XaMp.imomo.net Forum Index XaMp.imomo.net
support forums for XaMp studio edition and XaMp desktop

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High fan speed with xamps

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XaMp.imomo.net Forum Index -> studio edition bug reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alta88

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: High fan speed with xamps Reply with quote

this isn't related necessarily to the new version, as i've noticed it before, but my hp pavilion pentium M 1.7gHz 1G RAM laptop is constantly stepping up the fan speed with xamps. cpu for the process is usually single digit %.

at first i thought it was the combinationn of the player and the sygate firewall, but closing sygate didn't prevent it. closing xamps returns fan speed to normal, and starting it back up ratchets up the speed again after a minute.

if i switch to xstreamxm, there is no issue.. the fan noise kinda kills the listening with xamps.

any ideas?
m0mo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow..

this is the first time i have heard of this.. i actually develop on a dell quite frequently but have never had this happen to me. does it happen with XaMp desktop?

XaMp studio does not use the cpu that much. most of the processing is due to windows media player

i will try to look into it

alta88

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say it doesn't happen with xamp desktop.

the studio cpu rarely goes above 10%, but the system task varies ~ 10% and when this is true it seems the fan will ramp. and shutting down studio will have the fan drop down after a few seconds, consistently.

if thunderbird, for example, is checking mail accounts the fan will ratchet up, then drop back quickly when done. but starting studio ratchets the fan (understandable for initialization), and it stays there longer, or many times doesn't drop.

hard to do a controlled test, things seem to vary even with little else running. right now i have firefox, thunderbird, and studio, nothing else and the fan is one level too high.
n8wb

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious, what is the cpu temp when you are running XaMp Studio vs not running it? Perhaps when idle it is running just below the level that the fan would need to be running a little faster to keep things cool? Just a guess though.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would i determine that? i know fan tools exist but haven't ever installed one. any general guidance? can i force it to run higher, and is that a good idea?
n8wb

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use motherboard monitor. It can give you data such as fan speed, cpu temp, case temp, etc. Great little program.

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

I really couldn't advise on forcing the fan to run faster. But I would really keep an eye on things. Laptops seem to get hot quickly and I have seen my share of them go belly up from over heating. Using this program, you can set alarms to let you know when things get too toasty and can really save your system in a pinch.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately, it looks like an hp pavilion motherboard isn't supported.. def files seem a few years old.

do you know of another tool?

thanks much.
n8wb

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give this a try:

Install MBM and do not use the wizard, then open the help file, steps 1 to 3, use your common sense, check the board pages for a similair board, check http://www.livewiredev.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2661.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gave this all a try, there's no sensor found for the fan/cpu, and there wasn't anything i could figure out for temp either.. forum there seems a few years old too.

thanks for your help n8wb. i'll try to find something like mbm for newer laptops..
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XaMp.imomo.net Forum Index -> studio edition bug reports All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: