XaMp.imomo.net Forum Index XaMp.imomo.net
support forums for XaMp studio edition and XaMp desktop

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems (since 17 April?)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XaMp.imomo.net Forum Index -> studio edition bug reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amnesia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Problems (since 17 April?) Reply with quote

I noticed a problem both with the old beta and the new one. AFAIK, it only has occurred post-17 April.

Sometimes the music simply stops. I look at the main window and there are no bars. It doesn't say buffering or anything. If I change the channel, then everything's OK. I can even change back.

First I thought it was this fallback URL thing, but I thought that was supposed to be addressed in the new beta and I still have this problem.

Also I noticed in the new beta yesterday that I was getting no sound, but the equalizer bars were still moving up and down. Switching channels didn't help. I went to XMRO via WMP and everything was fine.
alta88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio seems to be working better as far as consistently connecting to channels now. there are some side issues.

1. i have also noticed the above, a channel will just stop playing, usually jumping off and back will reestablish. but a bug, happens frequently.

2. i think studio starts playing before the final last % of the buffer is retrieved, and 'breaking' a moment after starting, getting the last bit, then continuing.. not very frequent.

3. due to trying the primary and both fallbacks, studio can be a while in connecting status. Hear seems to really be bad lately, alhough it eventually connects on likely the 3rd attempt.

however, not much to do about that programatically. i would strongly suggest displaying a message for each of the up to 3 attempts so at least people will know what's going on. and that it's not studio that's broken..

one very frustrating thing about tune notify is that one may never hear the start of a song again.. xm sending the file not enough in advance i'm sure is the issue. kinda kills the concept.

thanks for the fixes. on to the next ones.
m0mo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems (since 17 April?) Reply with quote

Amnesia wrote:
I noticed a problem both with the old beta and the new one. AFAIK, it only has occurred post-17 April.

Sometimes the music simply stops. I look at the main window and there are no bars. It doesn't say buffering or anything. If I change the channel, then everything's OK. I can even change back.

First I thought it was this fallback URL thing, but I thought that was supposed to be addressed in the new beta and I still have this problem.

Also I noticed in the new beta yesterday that I was getting no sound, but the equalizer bars were still moving up and down. Switching channels didn't help. I went to XMRO via WMP and everything was fine.

i have noticed this problem also. however, i have also had the stream drop on me in the past couple days within xmro web. the drop doesn't necessarily follow a pattern so my gut feeling is telling me it has to do with the actual stream. however i have not confirmed this.

it does not have to do with the fallback url. once the stream starts, the fallback url plays no part. the different urls are only used to try to establish a stream.

were you able to recreate the no sound problem with moving spectrum? when my stream drops the bars stop with it. please let me know.

thanks

m0mo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alta88 wrote:
1. i have also noticed the above, a channel will just stop playing, usually jumping off and back will reestablish. but a bug, happens frequently.

again, like stated before, i believe this might be a xmro stream problem as i have had it happen to me in xmro as well but i will look into it.

alta88 wrote:
2. i think studio starts playing before the final last % of the buffer is retrieved, and 'breaking' a moment after starting, getting the last bit, then continuing.. not very frequent.

i recently started noticing this also, but i have been using the beta for many days prior to release. i will have to investigate to see if this is a xamp error

alta88 wrote:
3. due to trying the primary and both fallbacks, studio can be a while in connecting status. Hear seems to really be bad lately, alhough it eventually connects on likely the 3rd attempt.

studio gives each stream a timeout period (to account for lag) or until it gets an error from the stream (ie. access denied like with the new channels) before trying the next one. this is what causes the delay. the primary stream for hear seems to be having problems the past couple days.

alta88 wrote:
however, not much to do about that programatically. i would strongly suggest displaying a message for each of the up to 3 attempts so at least people will know what's going on. and that it's not studio that's broken..

nao had been asking me for this a couple days before the new beta. however i was unable to add the code in time to test before releasing it. some sort of notification will probably be added in a future release

alta88 wrote:
one very frustrating thing about tune notify is that one may never hear the start of a song again.. xm sending the file not enough in advance i'm sure is the issue. kinda kills the concept.

unfortunately, xamp/xmro is only as good as the data xm sends. the xm data is polled every 30 seconds for all the channels and 15 seconds for the currently playing channel as per the official web interface. tune notify is still a neat feature and sometimes is in time for the song Smile

alta88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m0mo wrote:
alta88 wrote:

again, like stated before, i believe this might be a xmro stream problem as i have had it happen to me in xmro as well but i will look into it.

i assume studio always knows whether it is receiving or not. if not it should, then it could go into a retry routine.. after x retries, then put up a big sign and give up. but these current stops all seem transitory.

m0mo wrote:
unfortunately, xamp/xmro is only as good as the data xm sends. the xm data is polled every 30 seconds for all the channels and 15 seconds for the currently playing channel as per the official web interface. tune notify is still a neat feature and sometimes is in time for the song Smile

hmm. this is an ancient problem in designing messaging systems: to be event driven or poll driven. the anwer lies in frequency of update (and criticalness of data receipt). xm has designed a network inefficient, but easy to throw up on their side, client side polling method that guarantees data loss (part of the song).

if a song lasts 2 minutes, then 8 network polls have been done needlessly to check if the file has updated. for this frequency of data, xm should broadcast the notice. the stream is open anyway (if i recall how ip sockets work).

anyway, probably 'recording' issues in too good a song start/stop stream..

tune notify is the whole thing, for me Very Happy as i don't usually just listen to one channel, but skip if i see something. it really lets studio be a randomized jukebox. very cool now with an unlimited favorites list.

that's why i keep proposing an auto switch to favorites feature Very Happy it'll help with the start of the song.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XaMp.imomo.net Forum Index -> studio edition bug reports All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: