XaMp.imomo.net Forum Index XaMp.imomo.net
support forums for XaMp studio edition and XaMp desktop

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't listen to new channels!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XaMp.imomo.net Forum Index -> studio edition bug reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amnesia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Can't listen to new channels! Reply with quote

I get a "system error"...
jeffelms

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine says Stream Error: -1
m0mo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xm / akamai are having problems with the new streams.

they are returning access denied depending on what akamai server you hit.

this is what happens in xmro from the web also.

alta88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, xmro works fine. a poster on xmfan reported xamp desktop also works with the new channels.

and i just got a stream error: -1 on the Loft, not a new channel.

the lack of a quicker fix cycle has left your beta group somewhat... hosed.
Nao-S7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alta88 wrote:
no, xmro works fine. a poster on xmfan reported xamp desktop also works with the new channels.

and i just got a stream error: -1 on the Loft, not a new channel.

the lack of a quicker fix cycle has left your beta group somewhat... hosed.

No alta, you've got it wrong. The streams work sometimes and sometimes they don't. I don't know if you've been reading other developer comments regarding this situation on XM 411. I've been testing this for a while and its a hit or miss situation especially with these new stations.

I've gotten XM Hitlist (30) and Flight 26 (26) to connect a few times, but
I can't even get these channels to work even from the XMRO website when I can't get on from Studio. The problem seems to be with the primary Akamai server that hosts the stream. Even on the old XaMp desktop, you'll notice that you get an Access is Denied messagebox error when this happens.

I'm not sure why the Loft is causing this problem, however I'm listening to the Loft right now from Studio and it's working fine right now.

And no, it's not just our beta group that it affected by this, as another XMRO player developer has mentioned its impact on his clients as well. I hope Akamai can hurry up and get their side straight as this is impacting all RO listeners (regardless of what player they may be using).
alta88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nao-s7,

sorry if i came across annoyed. but it does seem the bug report/response cycle, whether acknowledgment or fix release, is missing here compared to my experience with other such situations. all of us are more than glad to test, but if it goes into a vacuum..

regarding this: i am able to get the 4 new channels consistently in xmro. i'm actually listening in europe; i can't say for sure obviously but it would be strange if the servers here were updated in a more timely way than in the us. the Loft was a one off error this morning. but neither Flight nor Hitlist has ever once worked.

i haven't used any other player since beta testing studio, and am not aware of other player issues.

thanks.
Nao-S7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alta,

not a problem at all. I understand that the wait time may seem distressing, however both m0mo and I have been trying to get to XaMp as much as we can in addition to our day jobs as programmers at work. So, as much as we would like to fix everything that we can, it can take a little while before we can actually fix it for you.

That said, we're still trying to figure out the root cause of this "new channel" problem. If it's something on akamai's end, I don't know if we can just go knocking on their door and say, "hey fix it Smile". (As much as we would like to!) Only time can tell if that will get fixed on their end.

As always, we appreciate all the feedback and suggestions you, along with all of our beta testers have given us, but please remember that we're just a two man team trying to make this program work Smile

Thanks for being supportive of our project,
Nao
alta88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just now i have xmro playing Flight, and studio playing Deep Tracks simultaneously. some interesting results:

i switch studio to Flight and get error -1.

so the first rule of Q/A will rule out anything from my local connection to the akamai caching server to the xm source.

i switch studio back to DT, switch back to Flight and Flight connects! switch back to DT fine, back to Flight and get error -1, back to DT and get error 40. go to Cafe and listen fine, switch to Flight get error -1.

meanwhile xmro is playing Flight the whole time. clearly the problem is within studio, no?

i'm on an ADSL connection.

[edit: well we cross posted.. ahh, day jobs. sorry Wink i'll chill - still very supportive ]
djdanska

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get to the new stations using studio either. I logged in via the website to try to stream it from there and i still couldn't do it. I kept getting an error there too..
m0mo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok here is the scoop...

1. xm uses both akamai and limelight for streaming content delivery
2. when you request a channel, you are provided a primary url for the stream and a secondary link to request a failover url. these url are probably handed out depending on your location relative to the nearest/fastest streaming provider at the current time hence it can work one time but not the next. different people are experiencing success and/or failure even in the same city
3. XaMp desktop, XMRO, etc will try the first one and if it fails, it will request a secondary url. XaMp studio does not currently support this yet but the new beta will.
4. if the url you are assigned ends in g.lm.akamaistream.net then you are out of luck
5. if the url you are assigned ends in xmradio.wm.llnwd.net then you are golden
6. the primary url is usually akamaistream.net and many times the secondary is akamaistream.net as well
7. akamaistream.net has the wrong permissions on the stream. WMP gets a "access denied" error

alta88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks m0mo, that's interesting.

just now i am able to get Hear fine in xmro but get error=2 and error=40 on Hear in studio. so it seems the fallback to the secondary url makes quite a difference.

and you can see the second attempt on xmro for Flight, for example, before it starts buffering. also interesting how the fallback url is chosen, rarely limelight in the us but always in eu..

hope you can add the fallback url soon Wink
Nao-S7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Have you noticed that the new channels are connecting better in XaMp now? It appears that Akamai may have fixed up their problem on their end. We're still running stream tests to see if it ever has to fall back on the secondary or tertiary streams. So far, I've been going back and forth between Flight26 and XM Hitlist and have been able to connect on the primary stream.

However lesson learned from this exercise, you can never anticipate when the primary stream goes down. Until now, I wasn't even aware that the ASX file had a secondary URL embedded as a fallback request. I'm glad we discovered this. Smile

Last I heard from mOmo this evening, it's already done and he's testing it on his dev box. I'm still using 0.3.0 build 4 (only primary stream capable) and its worked for the past 1 hour of switching every 2 minutes between the two.

Can anyone else post their findings? alta88, how about you? Things better for you over there in Europe?

Nao
alta88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, all the new channels are working in studio.

tried almost every channel and they're all fine. except for Hear, which works in xmro but has been dead in studio, as above, for 2 days..
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XaMp.imomo.net Forum Index -> studio edition bug reports All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: